Josh began kindy on Tuesday the 2nd Feb 2010. Aaron had the day off and we walked him to school together and got him all set up. He was so excited! He said goodbye, and into the classroom he went. I couldn't believe it was finally time for big school (and to be completely honest, I STILL can't believe it).
Aaron and I went to the parent's morning tea after that and then came home. I was really emotional about the whole thing. I managed to hold myself together in public but I was pretty sad that the season of having Josh with me full time was over. I missed him! I still do.
I was grateful for a friend who told me yesterday that she still has moments when she finds it hard. While they're at school it's just such a big chunk of their life that we are not a very big part of. I've even contemplated homeschooling! I've been annoying his poor teacher by hanging around (thankfully she's a friend of mine, but I'd better not push it too much!! lol)
These photo's are from the second day of school (wednesday). That's how bad I was on the first day, I TOTALLY forgot the camera. That probably contributed to me being emotional lol!! I couldn't believe it. We got photo's of Josh and Kai together on wednesday tho, and Josh wanted to ride his scooter to school. We had done a quick visit to the school on monday and Josh had ridden his scooter then and really impressed me with how good he'd gotten while we were in Sussex (his cousin Tom also had his scooter there and they'd ride them all over the place together). So I said yes.
Super cool Malakai who likes to wear his cap backwards :)
We all set out towards school, the kids and I and even Nanna came that morning. Then we realised that we'd forgotten Josh's school bag so Nanna went back to get it. Kai had run on ahead of Josh and I (with Ella in the pram). So when we got to the little hill down to school, Josh did what he'd done on monday, and coasted down the hill toward the underpass.
Except he hit a patch of dirt and the scooter slid out from under him and he smashed his face into the concrete. It was one of those awful situations where you can only watch it happen and feel so helpless and surreal. There was blood everywhere, and all I could do was tell Josh to run home to Nanna while I got Kai piled on the top of the pram and run home with the pram and the scooter as best I could.
It became very clear when we got him slightly cleaned up that he wouldn't be going to school that day :( he ended up missing 2 days of school and was so nervous about going back that we had to make a visit to the school on the thursday afternoon to show him it'd be ok. His lip was enormous. I didn't think it was possible for a lip to swell up that much without bursting! I wasn't surprised he thought the kids would make fun of him, it looked terrible. Poor guy.
But by friday he was better enough to go back, and I was so grateful to his teacher and our head of welfare because they just made it so easy for him to transition back in. Jenny (the head of welfare) even wrote him a little book and they read it in class. Josh proudly showed that book to his daddy and granddad that night.
Except he hit a patch of dirt and the scooter slid out from under him and he smashed his face into the concrete. It was one of those awful situations where you can only watch it happen and feel so helpless and surreal. There was blood everywhere, and all I could do was tell Josh to run home to Nanna while I got Kai piled on the top of the pram and run home with the pram and the scooter as best I could.
It became very clear when we got him slightly cleaned up that he wouldn't be going to school that day :( he ended up missing 2 days of school and was so nervous about going back that we had to make a visit to the school on the thursday afternoon to show him it'd be ok. His lip was enormous. I didn't think it was possible for a lip to swell up that much without bursting! I wasn't surprised he thought the kids would make fun of him, it looked terrible. Poor guy.
But by friday he was better enough to go back, and I was so grateful to his teacher and our head of welfare because they just made it so easy for him to transition back in. Jenny (the head of welfare) even wrote him a little book and they read it in class. Josh proudly showed that book to his daddy and granddad that night.
Since I remembered the camera that day I have this pic of Josh JUST before he fell off. I have a picture of his lip as well, and I was going to post it but thought it was just a bit too graphic and awful looking :(
Here's Kai just before we left for school. He's so cute!
Thankfully we're now just finished week 4 and Josh is loving school. He's made new friends (they call each other 'buddy' and give high fives, so cute!) and has even been allowed to ride his scooter to school again (we prayed together just before we left tho - I was a bit nervous!)
So there's Josh's start to kindy!
So there's Josh's start to kindy!
No comments:
Post a Comment